Thursday, July 24, 2008

The House of the Rising Sun

After the most impressive up close and personal experiences and conversations with the indigenous people of New Guinea, coastal Australia, Taiwan, Palau, New Caledonia and Tahiti two French TV Journalists and I ate Tuna by the harbor. We missed the Head of State of Western Samoa by 5 minutes. He was being hosted by Measu Atuatasi and his family for supper. "Mace" and I work together.

At the harbor in Pago we found voyagers who had arrived 2 hours earlier from the Cook Islands. They were celebrating finding land at night, without modern navigation aids. Of course, there are lights in the harbor, but, there are also massive waves and rocks. They travel in a large catamaran, using only sail. Most were exhausted having fought 30 knot winds for days. The others were playing guitar. I couldn't help with the Polynesian songs, but, I did remember the words from The Animals "House of the Rising Sun." After all, I was born there...

Somewhere in the world someone had a better time than I did last night. But, no one within 5000 miles had a better time than I did. Pictures to follow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to your pictures.
ann