Friday, June 13, 2008

Alex Box retires!


To all true Tiger fans, Alex Box is the venerable old wooden stadium which has been the home of LSU baseball in good times and in bad. Alex Box leads the nation in attendance year after year, in part because of the atmosphere. Check out this picture of the last game before the new stadium replaces the old. Of course, LSU wins and goes on to the College World Series in Omaha...A setting where LSU has proven to be one of the greatest programs in the history of college baseball. I sat on the third base line. The color of the sky is correct for a Louisiana evening!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know that Omaha loves LSU, too. LSU was a constant contender and frequent winner during the last 10 years or so of Skip's tenure as coach. Being from Omaha, and having graduated from LSU, I follow both. My sister often covers the CWS for TV, and said that the LSU tailgators were sorely missed the years they haven't been there. They have the best food. Some die-hard fans came regardless. It's also amazing to see what a big deal the CWS has become. When I was growing up, you could just walk up and get into a game. I regularly went to at least 1 game a year with my dad. I think he just liked to sit and relax in the cool breeze at Rosenblatt Stadium. I thought baseball was boring to watch, but the CWS was different. The college players weren't "perfect" like the pros, and those guys play their hearts out. Fond memories of early summer in Omaha.